What Were We Thinking?

Tales From The Toddler Trenches

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Are we having fun yet?

Here's just one example why having 2 under 3 is really tough. Today I decided to be super cool mommy. Why? I don't know. I must have had a sudden burst of energy. I only got 5 hours sleep last night, so I don't know where this energy could have come from. Anyway...I decided to bring the tandem tricycle to the park- see photo and entry below. This was a different park though with nice paved walkways, but with some slight inclines. Uh oh. This one small factor changed the whole tandem riding experience. Ok, so we get to the park, I set up Jack with his helmet in the front seat of the trike, set up Jesse in the back seat with his ever so cute Pooh Bear helmet, buckle him in and off they go. They get about 10 feet and Jack heads up his first SLIGHT incline. He can't pedal hard enough and starts freaking out. He starts SCREAMING at the top of his lungs. (for those of you who know Jack, you know what this sounds like). I give him a push from behind to help him along and just as Jack stops sreaming, Jesse starts screaming- picking up on his big brothers emotions all too well- and starts squirming out of the seat. Ok, this is not going so well. I take Jesse out of the bike seat and put him back in the stroller. He is still screaming because he doesn't want to be in the stroller now. Meanwhile, Jack has peddaled along and hit another SLIGHT incline and now he's screaming again. By this time all the other mommys at the park, who wisely chose to be regular ol' mommys and just let their kids play in the playground, are staring and glaring at me as if I am poking my kids with red hot sticks.

We no sooner get halfway around the walkway and another toddler approaches Jack's bike and Jack starts yelling at him, NO! MY BIKE! NO! MY BIKE! What flashes through my mind?, 'Oh my God. I have the spoiled brat kid at the park. How did this happen?? I used to loathe kids like this and now I have one.' Meanwhile, just before this new outburst, I let Jesse out of the stroller to walk around and of course he wants to walk everywhere EXCEPT in the playground. He's walking across the lawn, down the hill, towards the bathrooms, back towards the car. No matter how many times I turn him around to walk towards the playground, he walks in the other direction, like some weird gravitational force is pulling him away from the playground. Which direction do I go in? towards the screaming 2.5+ yr. old or my 1 yr. old escape artist??

Don't try this at home!

2 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I think I just stepped into a time warp. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with a truly emotional boy! :)

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger marz said...

noooooo.... oh i relate and I have only 1 kiddo!
I was just telling Gene yesterday that all over the place, I see these moms on their own in downtown Walnut Creek (this was Saturday) and they'd have 2 little girls, like Jack & Jesse's ages. I told Gene- notice how you don't see a mom with 2 boys? Only 2 sweet little girls! And they look all cute together the 3 of them, but no way- no mom with her 2 boys!!! Moms with one girl walking next to their content little girl in a stroller- and out shopping.
Yeah right- notin my world, not even with 1 kid!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counters